Friday, October 24, 2008

Symptoms of Home Sickness

Symptom #1: mild case insomnia
I've been having trouble sleeping. Wherever I sleep, I don't feel at easy. Even though I have my own place now, I still don't feel at home. My bed, my room, everything feels and smells foreign and strange. The only reason why I've been able to fall asleep these days is due to exhaustion. My work load has not been too bad, but the English department of the school is a mess and so I've been thrown into a situation where all I can do is just deal with it and hope for the best.

Symptom #2: disorientation of time and space
I'm not sure if this can be considered as a symptom, but I'm going to count it as one anyways. Even though I've only been in Taiwan for just a little over a month, it feels like it's been months!!! I sometimes wake up thinking, "Where am I? Why am I in Taiwan in November?"

Symptom #3: intense cravings for home food
I WANT MY AMERICAN FOOOOOOOD! I've been craving for a grilled burger, mashed potatoes with gravy, pancakes, starbucks' seasonal pumpkin spice latte, and brownies with vanilla ice cream! If I had a kitchen and a vehicle that could bring me to a grocery store, I would so buy the ingredients and make them myself. Unfortunately, I do not have that luxury. Don't get me wrong though, I've been eating some grrrreat good over here. But I still miss my American foods!

7 comments:

Sherryberry said...

Hey! I had Al's Beef the other day, and Portillo's chopped salad, and Korean BBQ, and Jimmy John's!!! mmm...soo good. I love you sis!! =D

lj said...

wow....i'm surprised by the food comment!

c30lin said...

Yeah, I'm surprised by how much I miss American food as well. So much so that I got excited at the sight of cheese the other day. Yeah, it's kinda sad, I know.

c30lin said...

Sherry, don't be cruel.

Sherryberry said...

ok. i appologize.

iris lo said...

i definitely saw a tgifridays in kaohsiung when i was there in the summer.

c30lin said...

Oh there are American resturants here, but I want the good stuff--the non-chain restaurants, the semni-authentic ethnic foods or the actual homemade ones. I had Korean food a few weeks ago. It was seriously one of the most disgusting thing have ever tasted (ok, maybe not, but it was TERRIBLE)! I heard there are decent Korean resturants in Taiwan though, and I would think there are because there is a small population of Koreans living in Taiwan (it's difficult to tell them apart though since some of them practically speak perfect Chinese).