Monday, February 21, 2011

Diane and Her Cup of Milk

Over the past two years, I had come across several kinds of student - angels and demons, and everything in between. Although there were quite a few "special" students that had walked through my classroom doors, the one who truly defeated me on my own turf was none other than the four-year-old:

DIANE!


This little monster was not only a brat, but she also knew how to get to your weak spots. She knew she was oddly cute, and boy, did she work it! She was adorably terrible (not the other way around), and so quick, not even the older kids could keep up with her. Fortunately, over the course of three months, I was able to get a hold of all her sass, tantrums and play, and started to grow a fascination with this girl. Whenever I had spare time, I would sit at the snack table and just watch her - eat, sleep, cry, you name it (creepers? Perhaps. But what kid does not like to get additional attention from their teacher?).



Diane was usually loaded with attitude and was too smart for her own good. However, on a particularly slow afternoon, there was a frightening calmness in the air - Diane was still and lovely. Like a potion that sinked her into a deep spell, Diane's cup of milk turned her into a beautiful work of art that was fascinating to watch in action. She was in her own world, giving no regards to anything else but herself and her delightful afternoon beverage.


After 20 minutes...



It never ceases to amaze me how kids can entertain themselves with the simplest things-such as Diane's cup of milk-with such satisfaction! I hope as I grow older, whether I'm on my own or with others, I would be able to face every minute of my day with such curiosity, innocence, and fascination to all the simplicities and complexities that life brings!

HAPPY MONDAY!


No comments: