Sunday, January 30, 2011

Future. Career. Job. => G/JC/HS <= Life. Living. Ministry.

I "pimped out" my blog page (it's fancy enough for a non-techy person like me) in hopes to actually have the urge to make good use of this. Still trying to find a purposeful goal for this page. Until that happens, I shall just ramble away like I usually do.

Recently, I've been having a lot of "future-plans" discussions with various people. Along with the X% of unemployed college graduates that are desperately trying to figure out life "as soon as possible," I too am eagerly trying to envision my future in the most suitable work field for myself. Unfortunately, simply "envisioning" my future job is not going to get me anywhere; in addition, to work in a desired work field and/or position requires time and experience, which are things most college graduates lack. 

After working as an overseas English teacher for the past two years, I realized how much thought, drive, and courage it really requires to actually pursue after a job, let alone a career, in something one truly has a passion for. For some people, this process happens so naturally that it almost seems like no intentional thought had been put into their planning, and they just happen to fall right in place when its the season to obtain an occupation. I'm all thought. I think about what I might be interested in doing. I think I have the skills to do well in a particular position. I think I have an idea with the direction I want to go into. I have neither drive nor courage though. And I think that's where my problem lies.

For me, I'm the kind of person that needs a purpose in order to be driven to do something. If the goal is not clear or worthwhile to me, I fall into an idle state that makes me impossible to move (a quality about myself that I'm not very fond of). Therefore, it is quite obvious that my future career would have to have a strong cause in order for me to offer anything into the work, for a long term at least. It is something I'm praying about, that my life's work would be something that is so important that it would move me to go even beyond what I can "envision" myself doing right now; and within this "grand" work, God's glory would be seen and Christ's name would be known. The question is, what would this work be? In what shape and form would this take place? God hasn't given me an answer yet. So I'll just have to wait, pray, and see. 

1 comment:

Irene Sun said...

uuuu... i like it! =) i see now that you are in UIC, with Sherry?!

it'd be cool to hear what your thoughts are now that you've found out what your "next step" is. =)